A472 Mafon Road, Nelson
Work starts on Monday 14th January on the A472 Mafon Road, Nelson for highway improvements associated with the Ty Du development.
Work is planned to be completed within 20 weeks. Traffic management will be mainly daytime traffic signals (off-peak 09:30 to 15:00) but for some specific work they may be retained over the peak hours.
It is recognised that use of signals during peak hours will increase delay and consequently this option will only be employed when absolutely necessary or on weekends.
The works planned are: -
- Ty Du development - improvement of existing facilities
- Upgrade for pedestrians to a ‘Puffin’ signal control crossing
- Ducting work on eastbound footway
- Lighting column replacement and upgrade
- Speed limit reduction works – coloured high friction surfacing, new signs and road markings
- New bus stop and shelter westbound side
Bus shelter installation on eastbound side
- Main Development of Ty Du site
- Footway and cycleway link construction on westbound side
- Drainage connection
- Electricity and gas connections and duct crossings at the new pedestrian point
- Telecoms and electricity connections and duct crossings west of roundabout
- Active travel
- Road markings for cycleway link (Fiddlers Elbow to Tredomen)
- Carriageway maintenance
- Surface dressing
- Replace road markings
Work will also commence along the A472 between Nelson and Tredomen on the 14th January, to improve the existing footway.
This will involve the cleansing and removal of overgrowth on the surface and will require traffic management to operate between 9:30 and 15:00 for safe working practice. The works will commence from the Rowan Tree and move toward Tredomen over a 2 week duration.
Following completion of these works, the final phase of works will commence on the A472 in Tredomen prior to its junction with Maes y Coed Terrace. This work will involve construction of a footway and associated works and is likely to be completed on the 22nd March.(8 week duration).
Whilst there will be some disruption to the traffic outside of peak times every effort will be made to keep this to a minimum. The works will enable a much safer walking route from Nelson to Ystrad Mynach and negate the need to cross the A472.