The event, which takes its name from the number of people who visit the park’s Education Centre and Secret Garden Café asking ‘What’s Behind The Wall?’ of the building, will see a new sculpture celebrating 70 years of Bute Park unveiled, and mark the official public opening of Bute Park Nurseries.
The nurseries, which had previously been hidden away behind the tall red-brick walls at one end of the parks famous herbaceous border, provide the plants and flowers for all Cardiff’s parks and city centre planters and now everybody has the chance to bring the green heart of the city into their garden.
Tours of the nurseries will be available with the knowledgeable Bute Park team alongside a range of other free (mainly ticketed) events including:
· a talk about the former head gardener at Cardiff Castle Andrew Pettigrew.
· a talk by the founder of Cardiff Salad Garden, a social enterprise operating out of Bute Park’s Walled Garden that works with volunteers to promote positive mental health and sells bicycle-delivered salad to local businesses.
· The opportunity to hear from the expert gardeners who look after Bute Park.
· Melissa Boothman from the Secret Garden Café and Penylan Pantry sharing seasonal recipes.
· The chance to hear from Bute Park’s resident Bee keeper about the return of beehives to the park, 60 years after they supplied honey to the wealthy Bute family and their guests in Cardiff Castle.
· A demonstration on propagation techniques for indoor and outdoor plants based on 30 years of experience growing the city’s plants at Bute Park Nursery.
· Hula Hoop workshops suitable for all ages, run by The Sparklettes.
· Kids activities.
Cabinet Member for Culture and Leisure, Councillor Peter Bradbury said: “Cardiff wouldn’t be Cardiff without Bute Park - it’s been the green heart of the city for 70 years now and that deserves a celebration. The team at Bute Park have a wealth of experience – this is a great chance to learn from them, discover more about the park and find out all about the fantastic work going on behind the walls.”
For a full list of events on the day, visit:
To reserve free tickets, visit: