Electrical Safety Highlighted After Residents Escape Tumble Dryer Fire In Their Llandudno Home

Electrical Safety Highlighted After Residents Escape Tumble Dryer Fire In Their Llandudno Home


Sunday 15th Dec 2019


Officers are highlighting the importance of using white goods appliances safely after three people had a lucky escape from a fire involving a tumble dryer in their Llandudno home this afternoon.

This warning comes in the midst of national Electrical Safety Week, which looks to help ensure residents stay safe in their homes.

Crews from Llandudno and Colwyn Bay were called to the property at Hafod Road West, Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno at 14.01hrs today, Tuesday November 26th.

A smoke alarm alerted the residents and they were able to call 999 and escape safely with reassurance advice issued by control operators.

The fire is thought to have been caused by overheating of a tumble dryer.

Steve Roberts, Locality Manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service explains:

“This incident once again highlights the importance of smoke alarms which alerted the occupants to the fire in their home.

“The fire started in a tumble dryer which was housed in a cupboard under the stairs in the property. If you use a tumble dryer, it must have appropriate ventilation - do not place items on top or around the appliance.

“Other important safety tips for using white goods appliances safely include:

  • Don’t overload plug sockets - the high wattage for a tumble dryer means that it needs its own 13-amp socket. Keep an eye out for any scorching or burn marks, including checking any visible electrical wires. 
  • Don't leave appliances unattended – don't turn the tumble dryer on before you leave the house or go to bed. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot. 
  • Keep your dryer well ventilated, make sure the vent pipe is kink free and not blocked or crushed in any way.
  • Always clean out the filter after using your tumble dryer. 
  • Always allow each drying programme, including the 'cool down cycle', to complete fully before emptying the machine. If you stop the machine mid cycle, the clothing will still be hot. 
  • Don’t ignore the warning signs – if you can smell burning or clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle, stop using your appliance and have it checked out by a professional.  

“To help protect you and your family in the event of a fire, ensure you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home and test them regularly.

“To find out more about safety in the home please visit www.nwales-fireservice.org,uk and to find out more about electrical safety visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk.