A Fire Officer is appealing to residents to take care with candles and naked flames following a fire in Flint this morning (Sunday 21st February).
Fire crews from Flint and Holywell attended the incident at Salisbury Road, Flint at 02.56am this morning.
The cause of the fire is believed to be candle left unattended in the bedroom which resulted in a man being taken to hospital by ambulance, two others were treated for burns at the scene and a fourth person was treated for smoke inhalation.
Dave Roberts, Compliance Manager, said: “This incident highlights the dangers of candles being left unattended and how easily fires can happen.
“The occupiers were extremely lucky to escape from this fire this morning. Candles can easily catch other items and develop into a fire and every year we see countless incidents where an open flame left unattended can lead to a trail of devastation.
“We advise people to use battery operated tea light candles, which can be purchased cheaply and are much safer than those with a naked flame.
Residents using candles are advised to follow the safety advice below:
- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder, on a stable surface, and away from materials that may catch fire - such as curtains
- Children and pets should never be left alone with lit candles
- Never leave a lit candle unattended. Put candles out whenever you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid draughts, vents or air currents - this will help prevent rapid or uneven burning and excessive dripping
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring
- Don’t move candles once they are lit
- Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on burn time and proper use
- Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder, as these candles are designed to liquefy when heated, to maximise fragrance
- Always burn candles on a heat resistant mat
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare
- Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out which may cause sparks.
Dave added: “You should never try to tackle a fire yourselves. Alert everyone in the property that there is a fire and get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service out.
“Even with these precautions, it’s vital to be prepared should the worst happen. A working smoke alarm can give you the vital time you need to get out, stay out, and call 999. Keep yourself and your loved ones safe by testing your alarm regularly and by planning and practising an escape route.”
If you would like a free safe and well check and free smoke alarms if required then please call our Freephone number on 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk