North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is committed to helping businesses operate safely throughout the Coronavirus pandemic.
In partnership with South Wales Fire and Rescue Service and Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, a guidance document has been produced providing information and advice for businesses on safely returning to the workplace following periods of lockdown and is available here.
Bob Mason, Head of Business Fire Safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, explains: “It is important that the Fire Risk Assessment (FRA) for your premises is reviewed to ensure that it is suitable and sufficient.
“Consider whether new working practices, changes in staff numbers and any alterations that you may have made to the premises have had an effect on the fire safety provisions.
“Where required, ensure that additional control measures are implemented to keep people safe in the event of a fire. It is essential that a suitable balance between Covid protection and fire safety is maintained.”
Bob also issued the advice below for businesses returning to the workplace:
• Ensure escape routes and exits are kept clear at all times so that occupants can quickly and safely escape in the event of fire.
• Make sure that any changes made to working practices and/ or the layout of your premises do not affect the ability for people to quickly and safely escape in an emergency.
• Test your fire alarm to ensure it is in working order.
• Test your emergency lighting to ensure occupants can see to safely make their escape in the event of normal power or lighting failure.
• Ensure that fire doors are not propped or wedged open.
• Regular hand washing by staff and cleaning of handles etc. on fire doors is recommended.
• Ensure that safety signs and notices remain visible.
• Review your fire risk assessment to take into account any changes made to the workplace.
If you would like to speak to one of our specialist officers for FREE fire safety advice please contact your local Fire Safety Office:
Gwynedd/ Môn: 01286 662999 Gwynedd.Mon@nwales-fireservice.org.uk
Flintshire/ Wrexham: 01978 367870 Flintshire.email@example.com
Denbighshire/ Conwy: 01745 352777 Conwy.firstname.lastname@example.org