Cigarette Warning Following Fire In Mold

Cigarette Warning Following Fire In Mold


Saturday 16th Oct 2021


North Wales Fire and Rescue Service’s Senior Fire Safety Manager is reminding residents of the dangers of carelessly discarded cigarettes and praising community spirit following a fire in Mold late last night.

Local crews from Mold and Buckley attended the fire in the house in Glan Alun, Mold at 23. 04hrs, and worked quickly to prevent the fire in the living room from spreading.

There was no-one home at the time of the fire, but the alarm was raised after a neighbour called 999.

Paul Scott, Senior Fire Safety Manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:

“This is another example of the dangers of carelessly discarded cigarettes – thankfully crews attended quickly and worked effectively to prevent fire spread to the remainder of the house or to neighbouring properties.

“Both Mold and Buckley are On-Call crews, who respond to incidents when notified through an alerter. These individuals are dedicated to protecting their local communities, working to both prevent and respond to fires.

“The call came in from a neighbour – looking out for one another and protecting our communities is so important. Earlier this month I launched the #youcansavealife campaign, which appeals to residents to look after vulnerable family, friends and neighbours.

“Discarded smoking materials count as one of the top causes of fires in the home in North Wales - it is vital to make sure all smoking materials are put out safely, especially before bed time.

"If you have elderly relatives or friends who are smokers, make them aware of the possible dangers - by following the steps below they can help cut the risk of a smoking related fire in the home.”

 - Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn. Make sure your cigarette is not still burning when you are finished - put it out, right out.

 - Take extra care when you're tired, taking any sort of drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It's very easy to fall asleep without while your cigarette is still burning

- Never smoke in bed - if you need to lie down, don't light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire.

- Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.

- Buy child-resistant lighters and matchboxes - every year children die by starting fires with matches and lighters. Keep these where children can't reach them.

- Tap your ash into an ashtray, never a wastebasket containing other rubbish - and don't let the ash or cigarette ends build up in the ashtray.

Paul added: “We offer free safe and well checks for all residents – a member of the Service will give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan and provide new alarms - all free of charge.

“To register yourself or someone you know for a free safe and well check, please call the free hotline 9-5pm Mon-Fri on 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk to register.”