Battery acid leak in Runcorn
10/10/2018 - 15:45
Lister Road, Runcorn.
One fire engine attended from Runcorn. One fire engine from Widnes
Firefighters were called to a possible chemical leak at a business premises in Lister Road, Runcorn. A strong smell was coming from the IT server room which turned out to be a battery pack which was leaking battery acid. Staff were evacuated as a precaution.
Crews used two breathing apparatus while they isolated the battery pack and placed it on its side to prevent it leaking further. Crews remain on the scene.
Crews are continuing to contain the spillage and ventilate the building. They are liaising with North West Ambulance Service and on site engineers.
The leak in the battery has been stemmed and the power to the battery has been isolated. The building is now vented and firefighters will be leaving the area. Two casualties were taken to hospital as a precaution and two other casualties were given a precautionary check on site by paramedics.