Runcorn Man Jailed After Driving His Car At A Police Officer And Damaging Vehicles In Widnes - Cheshire Police

Runcorn Man Jailed After Driving His Car At A Police Officer And Damaging Vehicles In Widnes - Cheshire Police

Saturday 25th May 2019

A man from Runcorn has been jailed after driving his car at a police officer and crashing into several vehicles while on bail for a previous dangerous driving offence.

Ian Barton, of St Pauls Close, was sentenced to 22 months in prison at Liverpool Crown Court on Friday 30 November.

At around 12 noon on 27 December 2017 police officers witnessed the 27-year-old driving his car through red lights at speed and crossing into a lane containing oncoming traffic near to Whiston Hospital.

As the area was heavily populated officers took the decision that it was too dangerous to continue pursuing the vehicle.

Approximately an hour later Barton was arrested at his home on suspicion of dangerous driving.

Barton was subsequently charged with the offence and released on bail.

He failed to turn up at Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday 23 October in answer to the charge.

Aware of Barton’s no show, an officer driving a marked police car in Widnes attempted to arrest him in a cul-de-sac on Southway at around 9pm on Tuesday 30 October.

The officer had spotted Barton in his car and approached the vehicle on foot.

After being told that there was a warrant out for his arrest, Barton refused to get out of his locked car.

Attempting to escape capture, he then drove it forward into the officer’s vehicle before reversing it at speed into parked cars.

Fearing for his safety, the officer struck the windscreen on the driver’s side with his police baton, causing cracks which would have obstructed Barton’s view.

Barton then mounted a pavement, knocked over some street furniture, hit a fence post and a residential gate and drove into the police car again, this time in reverse.

He then drove forward at the officer, forcing him to jump out of the way.

As the officer pressed his police panic alarm he witnessed Barton collide with other parked cars before attempted to flee on foot.

The officer caught up with Barton a short distance away on Montgomery Road, where he was arrested and found to be in the possession of cannabis.

Barton’s actions caused extensive damage to the police car.

They also left four parked cars with significant damage.

Barton subsequently pleaded guilty to two counts of dangerous driving in relation to the incidents in Whiston and Widnes.

He also admitted a charge of common assault in relation to driving a car at a police officer, as well as a charge of being caught in possession of cannabis.

Following his sentencing, which saw Barton banned from driving for four years and 46 weeks and ordered to pay a £140 victim surcharge as well as be handed a custodial sentence, Detective Constable Vicki Abraham said: “I welcome the sentence that has been handed to Barton and I hope that it acts as a warning for other potential offenders.

“Barton put the lives of innocent motorists at risk by driving at speed through red lights and into oncoming traffic in Whiston.

“And while on bail for his dangerous driving he put a police officer at risk of serious harm by driving his car at him as he attempted to evade arrest.

“Thankfully the officer was able to jump out of the way of Barton’s car and arrest him, but not before he had driven back and forth in an erratic manner numerous times and caused substantial damage to the officer’s vehicle and four parked cars.

“Through his dangerous and reckless actions Barton showed no regard for anyone else’s safety or property and he is now facing the consequences of his actions in the form of a fully justified custodial sentence.”