During the summer and autumn of 2018, the council spoke with residents and community groups to gather feedback on the availability and suitability of toilets and then mapped all publicly available toilets in the borough. The information has been used with statistical information to produce an assessment of need.
The draft local toilets strategy sets out the findings of the assessment of need and future plans to ensure the people of Torfaen are able to access toilet facilities that support them to go out and about within Torfaen.
Cllr Fiona Cross, executive member for the environment, said: “I’d like to reassure the public that we have no plans to close any of the toilets we currently operate, or to reduce opening times or operational management of these facilities The council recognises the need to maintain public toilets in Torfaen and where resources and support of others in the community allows, we would like to see more public toilets over time.”
The strategy looks broadly at access to suitable toilets, baby changing facilities and changing places across the borough, including facilities provided by community organisations and private businesses.
Complete the survey at your convenience by accessing the document and responding to the consultation questions at https://getinvolved.torfaen.gov.uk or speak to us in person at the following locations:
- Wednesday 12 December, 10am - 12pm at Pontypool Indoor Market
- Thursday 13 December, 10am - 12pm at Blaenavon Resource Centre
- Friday 14 December, 10am - 12pm at Cwmbran Library
- Wednesday 9 January, 2pm - 3:30pm at Age Connects Torfaen
- Monday 14 January, 4:30pm - 6:30pm at Tesco Pontypool
- Wednesday 16 January, 2:30pm - 4pm at Torfaen Carers Centre
- Monday 21 January, 12pm-2pm at Blaenavon Town Council Offices
To get a hard copy of the strategy contact Steven Honeywill on 01495 766958 or email email@example.com
The deadline for responses is 7 February 2019 and a final draft will be published by 31 May 2019.