Posted: Sat 29th Jul 2023

Primary school pupils to be exempt from catching regular public buses as part of new cost-cutting plans for school transport.

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Saturday, Jul 29th, 2023

PRIMARY school pupils won’t be expected to catch regular buses alongside members of the public under new plans to reduce the cost of school transport.
Monmouthshire County Council consulted on its home-to-school transport policy throughout June, including a proposal to make better use of regular bus services as a way of cutting the £6.5 million a year it spends on bussing youngsters to school, and reducing number of buses on the roads. 
But Conservative councillor for Shirenewton, Louise Brown, said she had fears about the plan to put pupils on buses that any member of the public can hop on or off.
She said: “I’m concerned about using public buses rather than the dedicated school buses from a safeguarding aspect as, though the bus driver may have a DBS (criminal record) check, travelling members of the public do not have to as they are not working or volunteers and the driver has limited scope to see what is going on at the back of the bus.” 
She also said she was unhappy the council has proposed cutting the notice period parents will receive if their children’s school transport is withdrawn. The council could withdraw transport if it is determined there is a safe walking route and parents will be told before the end of a term. 
Cllr Brown said she believed the council has proposed assessing the walking route as safe it it is “the least dangerous.” 
Cllr Martyn Groucutt, the cabinet member for education, said the plan to increase the use of public transport only relates to pupils of secondary school age, who are at least 11. 
He said secondary school children already catch public buses, including ones that pass his home in Abergavenny and told her: “I can see them passing my house on the way to King Henry School every day and to the best of my knowledge there has never been any incident of a safeguarding nature with them. 
“I would point out there is no proposal that primary age children will be put on to public transport it is only secondary age pupils.” 
He added: “Drivers of public services vehicles carrying children in this way are subject to the same DBS checks as those who are simply driving school transport vehicles.” 
The cabinet member said he understood the point Cllr Brown had raised but hoped she could also understand he was seeking to address the “climate catastrophe” and the “need to get to zero carbon as quickly as possible”. 
He said reducing the number of buses in use would address this and help the authority save money. 
On the safe routes to school the councillor said there is an “objective” measure used to determine if a route is safe and said: “I don’t accept we look at the route that is least dangerous rather than the safest.” 
The council also expects that primary age children will be supervised on their way to school by a parent or other responsible person. 
Monmouthshire council has previously said making use of public service buses for school transport will also help maintain routes for the wider community. 
A council scrutiny committee was unable to consider the results of the consultation last week, due to extra time being allocated to discussion on potential Gypsy Traveller sites, but the cabinet will consider a report in September and an updated policy could be adopted in October ready for the 2024/25 academic year. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Monmouthshire Council

New Sites Proposed in Monmouthshire for Gypsy Communities: Exclusive Photos Unveiled

Monmouthshire Council

Health Board Announces MORE Events to Discuss Closure of Minor Injuries Unit at Gwent Hospital

Monmouthshire Council

Monmouthshire Council Unveils Two Potential Gypsy Traveller Sites for Consultation

Monmouthshire Council

Patients in Gwent to Have Choice of English or Welsh Letters from NHS

Monmouthshire Council

Councillors Back Plans to Make Gwent a Welcoming Place for Asylum Seekers and Refugees

Monmouthshire Council

Car Parking Charges in Gwent Cannot be Reviewed as Council Faces Budget Constraints

Monmouthshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Senior Councillors to Discuss £1 Transfer of Sports Pitch to Abertillery Bluebirds

Blaenau Gwent Council

Greggs Bakery Granted Permission to Extend Opening Hours in Former Bank

Torfaen Council

Early Stages of Battle for New Ceredigion Preseli Seat Begin with Campaign Launch by Current MP

Ceredigion Council

Rugby Captains from Brynamman Shine in World Cup Success

Carmarthenshire Council

Senior Doctor Warns NHS “Will Not Survive” if Hospitals Become Nursing Homes

Newport Council

Residents of Bridgend cul-de-sac frustrated by ongoing parking issues at nearby school

Bridgend Council