Posted: Sat 13th Apr 2024

Proposed Changes to Pembrokeshire’s Social Housing Allocation Policy Under Review

news.wales / newyddion.cymru

Pembrokeshire’s social housing allocation policy could soon change, including applicants needing a stronger proof of a connection to the county.
Members of the county council’s Policy and Pre-Decision Overview and Scrutiny Committee, discussing the proposals ahead of a final decision at the council’s Cabinet later this month, viewed the proposed changes.
A report for members at the April meeting stated: “The current Choice Homes Allocations policy has been in use since 2014. Since then, we have seen significant increases in demand on the housing and homelessness sectors for multiple reasons including changes related to legislation and welfare reform, impacts of the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis.
“Pembrokeshire, like all local authorities across Wales, has seen significant increases in the number of people wishing to access social housing and unprecedented increases in homeless presentations.”
It added: “Currently, Pembrokeshire operates an open housing register, which is out of step with our regional local authority partners. Bringing in tighter eligibility criteria to join the register will ensure that social housing in Pembrokeshire is going to those in the county with the most housing need.”
A five-year connection to the county is now proposed.
It says the social housing sector has seen a 30.8 per cent increase in the overall number of those on the housing register since 2014; the proposed revisions allowing “for a more flexible and dynamic approach to the allocation of social housing and thus also allowing us to make better use of our housing stock”.
Members heard that roughly 60 per cent of households on the register had been assessed as having a one-bedroom need, but only 21 per cent of the stock was one-bed.
“Proposed changes in the allocations policy looks to relieve some of that pressure, by relaxing the rules around bedroom eligibility and allowing people to bid on properties with one bedroom more than their assessed need if they can evidence that they can afford it,” the report said.
It added: “One of the consequences of the revised allocations policy is that there may be households who no longer qualify to join the register. For those who reside outside of Pembrokeshire, and are not exempt from the exclusion, this is the intended outcome.
“Furthermore, there may be people in Pembrokeshire who are unable to join the register as they have been assessed as not in housing need, but who are still unable to afford to purchase a property in the county.
“To mitigate this issue, we are proposing to create the Affordable Housing Register. This is for those who wish to register their interest for affordable housing options, such as intermediate rent, shared ownership, rent to own etc.”
Members also herd: “The desired outcome of shuffling the banding and removal of priority status is to allow for more allocations to be made to those who are not homeless, deterring the belief that homelessness is a fast track into housing.
“Once agreed, there will be a period of preparation prior to the Policy becoming operational as all housing applicants will need to re-apply, community engagement roadshows undertaken to publicise and explain the changes. Therefore a 12-month period of preparation will be required.”
Members at the April 9 committee meeting unanimously agreed to recommend Cabinet approves the proposals. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Pembrokeshire Council

Hopes Dashed for Community Pub at Closed Pembrokeshire Inn

Pembrokeshire Council

Family Given Approval to Stay in Pembrokeshire ‘Love Shack’ Built Without Permission

Pembrokeshire Council

New Official Policy Proposed for Flying Flags and Lighting Up County Hall in Pembrokeshire

Pembrokeshire Council

Online Petition Launched to Save Pembrokeshire Day Centre from Closure

Pembrokeshire Council

Four Days Left Before Vote for Dyfed Powys Police and Crime Commissioner

Pembrokeshire Council

Second Stage of Haverfordwest Transport Interchange Contract ‘Called In’ for Review

Pembrokeshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council