Posted: Thu 28th Jan 2016

Check your wood or coal burning stove

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Jan 28th, 2016

Carmarthenshire homeowners who have a wood or coal burning stove are being urged to check they are correctly installed. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Hundreds of homeowners in neighbouring Pembrokeshire have been warned to check their stoves after one fitter, Steven Poole, admitted regularly breaching legal requirements by incorrectly fitting flue connections and failing to supply and fit carbon monoxide detectors. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mr Poole, who has since passed away, installed hundreds of wood burners as part of his company SM Poole, which was not registered. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Pembrokeshire County Council has written to more than 500 households, and placed notices in local media, urging people to check their stoves. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Carmarthenshire County Council’s environmental health team are urging local homeowners to do the same – particularly so if they were fitted by SM Poole. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

They are also reminding people to ensure that if they are having a solid fuel fire installed, that the fitter is properly HETAS registered. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

A poorly fitted stove could result in carbon monoxide poisoning. CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas. Early warning signs of poisoning include feeling unusually faint or suffering headaches. If CO is detected, you should leave the room immediately, open doors and windows and call for help. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Cllr Jim Jones, Executive Board Member for Public Protection, said: “I have recently accompanied officers of our environmental health team whilst they are undertaking visits to check wood, coal and gas heating appliances and stoves in Carmarthenshire. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“Our advice is simple – protect your family by making sure that the person you have employed to fit a boiler or solid fuel stove is properly qualified and HETAS registered. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“Following the recent discovery in neighbouring Pembrokeshire, I would also urge homeowners who have had stoves fitted in the last few years to check if the person who installed the stove was properly registered.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Maintenance for solid fuel fires should include: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Chimneys should be swept at least once a year
The throat plate and flue should be cleaned every fortnight and after heavy rain and strong winds
Ash pans should be emptied at least once a day
To burn safely, logs should be well seasoned, dry, with low resin content and not painted or varnished
Rooms need to be ventilated as the fire needs fresh air to burn safely ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Mid Wales

New windfarm planning application submitted near Glaslyn Nature Reserve

Powys Council

Fears Raised Over Potential £300 Million School Building Programme Cutbacks

Powys Council

Committee Chairman Requests Comparison of Powys Planning Performance

Powys Council

Rail Testing Facility in Powys Seeks Extension for Detailed Plans – £150 Million Scheme

Powys Council

Application Submitted for Four Affordable Homes in Cardigan for Same Family

Ceredigion Council

Self-Serve Meat Vending Machine Planned for Ceredigion Livestock Mart Site

Ceredigion Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council