Posted: Wed 28th Jun 2023

Inspectors to decide plans to convert former Welshpool sandwich bar into home

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Wednesday, Jun 28th, 2023

Government planning inspectors will decide an appeal against Powys planners decision to refuse planning permission to convert a former sandwich bar in Welshpool into a home. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Rikki Lloyd lodged the appeal with Planning and Environment Decision Wales (PEDW) after his application to convert number one Bear Passage into a single dwelling unit was refused by Powys County Council at the end of April. The building is next to his butcher’s shop in the town. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Powys planning officer Luke Woosnam refused the application on the grounds that whoever lived in the proposed home would be “unacceptably affected” by the level of noise coming from the neighbouring night club at number 38 High Street. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

This is the former Conservative Club which became the 1898 club for a short while and closed last year. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Planning agent Gwynfor Humphreys explained that the refusal is based on comments made by the council’s environment protection officer which say that residents of the dwelling would need to keep the windows closed due to noise from the licensed premises. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mr Humphreys said:  “The applicant does not consider this a reasonable basis for refusal. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“The refusal notice was issued without giving the applicant any opportunity to respond to the EPO’s comments. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“The noise assessment demonstrates that noise can be reduced to acceptable limits.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mr Humphreys added that an existing at the back of the property could be used and that Mr Lloyd would be “happy” to install a ventilation system at the property. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mr Humphreys said: “The applicant would also point out that the adjoining premises have been empty for a long period of time. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“It is improbable that usage will resume, and if it does it will probably be on an infrequent basis. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“It is very much a question of what is reasonable and proportionate.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The council and Mr Lloyd have until July 19 to submit their final arguments to PEDW. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

By BBC LDRS ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Powys Council

New windfarm planning application submitted near Glaslyn Nature Reserve

Powys Council

Fears Raised Over Potential £300 Million School Building Programme Cutbacks

Powys Council

Committee Chairman Requests Comparison of Powys Planning Performance

Powys Council

Rail Testing Facility in Powys Seeks Extension for Detailed Plans – £150 Million Scheme

Powys Council

Improvements Being Made to Planning Enforcement Investigations in Powys

Powys Council

Powys Animal Establishment Licence Fees Set to Rise Again, Council Predicts Loss

Powys Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council