Posted: Fri 12th Apr 2024

Allegations of Sexual Misconduct at Gwent Police Spark Calls for External Chief Appointment

news.wales / newyddion.cymru

NEW claims of sexual misconduct at Gwent Police strengthen the case for its new chief to be appointed from outside the force, it has been claimed. 
According to BBC Wales a senior civilian manager at the force was allowed to remain in his job for nine months after a complaint he had sent scores of sexually suggestive messages to a colleague. 
It has reported he was only suspended, in May 2023, after a second colleague had complained and is now facing a disciplinary hearing. 
The first complaint was made, according to the BBC, after his colleague was shocked to see him leading a training session on staff conduct following the murder in 2021, by a then serving Met Police officer, of Sarah Everard. 
BBC Wales has reported it is alleged the sexually suggestive messages were sent over several months after the woman’s appointment in 2010 and that she had told the manager they were unwanted and he should stop. 
The claims are the latest around behaviour and standards at Gwent Police and last month the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) announced two serving officers and one former officer would face gross misconduct hearings into the sharing of offensive messages. 
Former Newport City Council deputy leader Mike Hamilton, who is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Gwent Police and Crime Commissioner, said he wasn’t surprised by the allegations which he had only learned of from the media. 
“I’m not aware of this particular case but I’m aware they (Gwent Police) have a very, very bad track record of dealing with this kind of issue,” he said. 
Conservative candidate Hannah Jarvis said the report suggests Gwent Police has failed to learn lessons from previous complaints within the force.
Mr Hamilton has already said a new chief constable, who the Police and Crime Commissioner to be elected on May 2 will have to appoint, should be from outside the force. 
Current chief constable Pam Kelly, who was appointed in 2017, announced in March she intends to retire later this year and she would “work closely with the newly elected commissioner to appoint my successor”. 
Mr Hamilton said his belief is a new chief must be from outside the force and that the latest reports only support that. He said: “I have no confidence in the senior management team. 
“This adds strength to it to be honest,”  Mr Hamilton said of his promise to appoint from outside the force.
Conservative Ms Jarvis said the manager should have been “isolated from the workplace whilst under investigation” and also raised concern at how the force has handled misconduct allegations.
She said: “Sadly, Gwent Police has faced a number of sexual misconduct incidents over the past two years. It’s frustrating to see lessons do not appear to have been learnt from these incidents and that a more robust stance has not been adopted.
“I have already pledged, that if elected, I will review disciplinary procedures for Gwent Police for both uniformed and civilian staff. I will take a zero tolerance approach towards sexual misconduct, which is critical to restoring public confidence in the force.”
Gwent Police has been contacted for comment. 
Labour’s Jane Mudd and Donna Cushing, for Plaid Cymru, are also standing for the Police and Crime Commissioner post. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Blaenau Gwent Council

Further Delays in Setting Up Planning Applications Website in Blaenau Gwent Confirmed

Blaenau Gwent Council

Moves to Turn Blaenau Gwent Council into a More Business Minded Organisation Welcome by Senior Councillors

Blaenau Gwent Council

Extra Conditions Imposed on Planning Permission for Tredegar Cemetery Extension

Blaenau Gwent Council

Welsh Government Planning Inspectors Overturn Blaenau Gwent Council’s Decision on Ebbw Vale Garage Extension

Blaenau Gwent Council

Disappointment as Welsh Government approves windfarm plans in Blaenau Gwent

Blaenau Gwent Council

Council Approves Controversial Home Bargains Store Development in Ebbw Vale

Blaenau Gwent Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council