Posted: Sun 25th Jun 2023

B&B conversion planning appeal lost

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Sunday, Jun 25th, 2023

AN APPEAL to overturn a decision by Blaenau Gwent planners to refuse an application to convert a home into a Bed and Breakfast has been lost.
Last year, Andrew Nicholas lodged a planning application with Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council to build a two-storey rear extension to provide kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom, and en-suite facilities at number seven Beaufort Terrace, Ebbw Vale.
A change of use application from a residential dwelling to a B&B, as well as demolishing an existing single-storey extension were also part of the scheme.
Mr Nicholas has said the scheme could safeguard and create between five and seven jobs at The Badminton Club, from where the facility would have been run from.
In June 2022, the council’s Planning Committee agreed with planning officer advice and refused the application.
Following the decision Mr Nicholas lodged an appeal with Planning and Environment Decision Wales, (PEDW).
In March, a planning inspector appointed by Welsh Government ministers visited the site before reaching a verdict on the application.
Planning inspector Ian Stevens said: “The appeal proposal would be significantly larger than the existing single-storey extension.
“The additional increase in scale would form a substantial structure running
close along the shared boundary.
“Due to its size and position, the significant depth and two-storey height of the extension would have a material overbearing effect on the occupiers
of number nine (Beaufort Terrace) when viewed from the nearest ground-floor windows and when using their rear amenity space.
“Given the orientation of dwellings, there is a strong likelihood that the proposal would result in a significant diminution of daylight in the ground-floor rooms of number nine nearest to the boundary, over and above that which currently exists.”
Mr Stevens added that he “acknowledged” that the development would provide “some economic benefits” but it did not “alter” his judgment that it would be “harmful” to neighbours.
“I conclude that the appeal should be dismissed,” said Mr Stevens.
An appeal for costs to be awarded to the applicant was also refused. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

By BBC LDRS ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Blaenau Gwent Council

Further Delays in Setting Up Planning Applications Website in Blaenau Gwent Confirmed

Blaenau Gwent Council

Moves to Turn Blaenau Gwent Council into a More Business Minded Organisation Welcome by Senior Councillors

Blaenau Gwent Council

Extra Conditions Imposed on Planning Permission for Tredegar Cemetery Extension

Blaenau Gwent Council

Welsh Government Planning Inspectors Overturn Blaenau Gwent Council’s Decision on Ebbw Vale Garage Extension

Blaenau Gwent Council

Disappointment as Welsh Government approves windfarm plans in Blaenau Gwent

Blaenau Gwent Council

Council Approves Controversial Home Bargains Store Development in Ebbw Vale

Blaenau Gwent Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council