Posted: Sat 15th Jul 2023

Disappointment over state of Cardiff street set for high-rise apartment block

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Saturday, Jul 15th, 2023

Councillors have expressed their disappointment over the state of a Cardiff street which residents tried to save from demolition and is now earmarked for a high-rise apartment block.
Plans for the 30-storey-high building, which is set to be constructed on land at Guildford Crescent, were approved by Cardiff Council in November 2021.
However, little work appears to have been done on site, with the partially demolished buildings facing onto the street still covered in scaffolding with no sign of a building rising from behind it.
The developer, Galliford Try, said it is hopeful that it will be able to begin the project in the very near future.
Speaking on behalf of all Cardiff Council ward members for Catahys, Councillor Chris Weaver, said: “We objected to this application, but unfortunately were not successful.
“We’re disappointed in the state of the crescent as it is now, and hope that the issues that have caused the developer to delay can be resolved.  We know the disastrous budget last year has caused economic shocks across the UK.
“Guildford Crescent is next to a conservation area and to the regeneration works on Churchill Way though, it’s an important part of the city centre and the current state of the site isn’t good for anyone”
An application to amend the planning permission which will allow a second staircase to be added to the building was approved by the council in June.
A Galliford Try spokesperson said: “The project has been delayed due to the impact on finance markets of global and national economic events.
“Additionally, as a responsible developer we have redesigned the scheme to enhance safety features by adding an additional staircase in anticipation of new regulatory requirements, which has further pushed the project back.”
A number of 19th century buildings, which were occupied by restaurants and the Gwdihw bar, were demolished in September 2019.
The plans to knock down the buildings were met with opposition from members of the community and local politicians.
About 1,000 people turned up in the city centre in 2019 to march against the proposed demolition and a petition gained 20,000 signatures.
Despite this, plans to knock down the buildings were approved in July that same year. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

by BBC LDRS reporter ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Cardiff Council

Widow of Beloved Cardiff Councillor Wins By-Election for Vacant Seat

Cardiff Council

Cardiff children ‘worst in Wales’ for learning to swim, says leisure manager

Cardiff Council

Residents in Llandaff Concerned Over Removal of “Vital” Free Parking

Cardiff Council

Investigation ongoing for Cardiff congestion charge, council reveals

Cardiff Council

Cardiff Council Sees Increase in Primary School Applications Refused

Cardiff Council

Residents in Cardiff Apartments Welcome Developer Offer to Address Structural Issues

Cardiff Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council