Posted: Fri 15th Mar 2024

Trust Carries Out Work on Historic House Without Planning Permission, Changes Approved

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Friday, Mar 15th, 2024

A TRUST that took ownership of an historic house next to the remains of a Roman temple carried out work to it without planning permission. 
The Spitalfields Trust, which was founded by architectural historian and TV presenter Dan Cruickshank in 1977, has been restoring Caerwent House since 2017.  
The nine bedroom property in the village north of Caldicot, dates back to the late 16th or early 17th century and was at risk of collapse when Monmouthshire County Council compulsorily purchased it in 2016 and passed ownership to the trust dedicated to preserving historic buildings. 
Though Caerwent House may be more than 325 years old it was substantially rebuilt and remodelled in the in the early 19th century and grade II listed in 1985. The council had served a repairs notice on the property in 2013 due to concern at its poor condition. 
The trust received planning permission, and listed building consent, in 2018 to divide the house in two with the intention of selling the properties. 
But alterations to the agreed plans have been made, which the trust has said were either necessary “due to the condition” of the building or “required to create viable new homes in order to secure a sustainable future for the at risk building.” 
Changes included replacing a large lean-to at the back with two timber glazed lean-tos, rather than enclosed porches as approved, and the use of alternative timber cladding, doors and windows on an out building known as the wash house. 
The trust said the details of the application were discussed “at length” with Monmouthshire council’s conservation officers and reflect their comments and advice, and it has “engaged” with the officers throughout the project. 
It added Welsh historic buildings body Cadw was also consulted, and offered no objection, to it creating two separate accesses, one using the original access that was to be blocked, from the road. As a result there will be two openings in the stone boundary wall at the front of the house. 
Monmouthshire council planning officer Victoria Cornock said, in a report, it was “unfortunate” the changes had been “undertaken to a significant degree” without permission but approved them with conditions, including on use of materials. 
Her report stated: “The works that have been carried out have therefore been considered in a holistic view of saving the building and restoring as much as possible for future generations.” 
The size of the lean-tos were also reduced “to a point where they are no longer considered to be detrimental enough to warrant refusal.” 
It was also agreed the new access points will have an acceptable impact on the character of the listed buildings but the gates had to be set further back to meet highway concerns. There will be a condition on the access gates used. 
Ms Cornock also stated the work is outside the Caerwent Roman Town scheduled monument but inside the known areas of the Roman town.  
All works were monitored by archaeologists and any direct impact on the buried archaeology mitigated. The lean-tos are similar to other structures attached to other buildings in Caerwent and, Ms Coronock said “have caused no adverse effect on the setting of the scheduled monument.” 
The changes have been approved and listed building consent also granted. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Monmouthshire Council

Voters in Gwent to Choose Next Police and Crime Commissioner on May 2

Monmouthshire Council

Prostitution Concerns Raised by Gwent Police Candidates in Newport

Monmouthshire Council

Plan to Restrict Access on Goldwire Lane in Monmouth, Says Councillor

Monmouthshire Council

Consideration Given to Free Parking in Monmouth Amid Water Works Disruption

Monmouthshire Council

Labour Councillor Admits Racial and Religious Abuse In Drunken Outburst

Monmouthshire Council

Welsh Government Asked About Repairs to Central Reservation on A40 in Gwent

Monmouthshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council