Posted: Thu 19th Oct 2023

Newport Council Abandons Bridge Repair Plans and Aims to Build New Structure

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Oct 19th, 2023

Newport council has abandoned hopes of repairing a cut-off community’s bridge and will instead look to build a new structure.
This could take more than three years and cost between £5.6 million and £9 million, according to council estimates.
The residents of Forge Mews have been isolated from the rest of Bassaleg since the summer of August 2021, when a road bridge suffered “significant” damage and was closed for safety reasons.
Pedestrian access has since been restored, but the community cannot reach their homes using vehicles – and there have been some problems reported too, with access for the emergency services.
At a cabinet meeting on Wednesday October 18, Newport council leader Jane Mudd told colleagues the local authority had been “working to repair and rehabilitate the structure but due to the condition of the bridge, this is not possible”.
Further investigations at the site have determined repairing the existing bridge is now “not viable” despite works to repair the initial damage.
Instead the council will pursue the design and construction of a new bridge, likely upstream of the damaged crossing.
The existing bridge will then be demolished, according to current proposals.
“Clearly this is not an easy or a quick task,” Cllr Mudd told the meeting, adding that the city council “fully appreciates the disruption” caused to the residents of Forge Mews over the past two years.
The council cabinet agreed to endorse the plan for a new bridge, and the local authority will now have to stump up £40,000 for a Welsh Government ‘Weltag’ assessment – a type of planning document for major transport projects – which must be carried out before any building work can go ahead.
That assessment is expected to take around three months.
The council has estimated the design and planning stages of the project will then take 12 months, and has forecast a further two years for the new bridge to be installed.
That means, according to current estimates, Forge Mews would end up being reconnected to Newport in January 2027 at the earliest – five and a half years after the damaged bridge was first closed off. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Newport Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Council Urged to Provide More Support for Newport City Centre, Says Opposition Councillor

Newport Council

Plans to install statue honouring Newport suffragette Lady Rhondda move closer

Newport Council

Calls for More Public Toilets in Newport City Centre, as Councillor Argues Current Facilities are Outdated

Newport Council

Newport Council Leader Dismisses Rumours of Four-Weekly Bin Collections

Newport Council

Newport Recycling Collections Causing Headache for Terraced Houses Residents

Newport Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council