Posted: Mon 31st Jul 2023

Disabled Access at ‘Car-Free’ Pembrokeshire Beach Unlikely This Year, but National Park Seeking Solutions for Improved Accessibility

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Monday, Jul 31st, 2023

Disabled driver access will not be reintroduced at a ‘car-free’ Pembrokeshire beach this year, but the national park is “actively pursuing” options to improve disabled access.
Earlier this year, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority ended parking on the Newport Sands beach after purchasing the land, in response to growing safety concerns and following decades of damage.
It said the beach would be a ‘car-free’ zone, with exceptions only allowed for emergency services and essential car users such as the RNLI and coastguards.
Part of this included the installation of a lockable barrier on the northern slipway and a boulder on the southern slipway.
A petition was later launched demanding a backtrack, saying an outright ban will have an adverse effect on a wide cross-section of beach users, including disabled visitors.
A specialist report on potential disabled access was commissioned by the national park, which  was heard at the July 26 meeting of the authority.
Members heard the consultant’s report raised a number of issues.
“It recognises and accepts that any ongoing provision of disabled vehicular access onto the beach is potentially incompatible with the overarching objective of a ‘vehicle-free’ natural environment,” a report for park members said.
“To mitigate that adverse impact, any provision would need to be extremely limited in scale.
“It is a reasonable expectation that any future provision would be materially different from the pre-existing practises.
“The existing beach access infrastructure would need to be assessed and adapted to ensure it was safe and fit for purpose before any beach parking offer could reasonably be offered to meet the essential needs of disabled people.”
The update says “it would be unreasonable and unrealistic to encourage or promote ongoing disabled beach parking for the foreseeable future”.
It added: “The Authority’s assessment of the risks at Traeth Mawr highlight that it is presently unsafe for vehicles to access the beach (including disabled users) due to a range of issues.
“As a result, the Authority will continue to restrict vehicular access.”
At the July meeting, members agreed to keep the car-free resolution, with a further update and report  being provided after the first car-free summer, along with “actively pursuing options of how to improve access for people living with disability”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Pembrokeshire Council

Hopes Dashed for Community Pub at Closed Pembrokeshire Inn

Pembrokeshire Council

Family Given Approval to Stay in Pembrokeshire ‘Love Shack’ Built Without Permission

Pembrokeshire Council

New Official Policy Proposed for Flying Flags and Lighting Up County Hall in Pembrokeshire

Pembrokeshire Council

Online Petition Launched to Save Pembrokeshire Day Centre from Closure

Pembrokeshire Council

Four Days Left Before Vote for Dyfed Powys Police and Crime Commissioner

Pembrokeshire Council

Second Stage of Haverfordwest Transport Interchange Contract ‘Called In’ for Review

Pembrokeshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council