Posted: Mon 11th Dec 2023

National Park Planners Approve Extension for Pembrokeshire Offshore Wave Power Development

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Monday, Dec 11th, 2023

A further time extension for works associated with the development of Pembrokeshire offshore wave power has been backed by national park planners.
Back in 2018, green energy company Bombora announced it was to build and test a 1.5 megawatt wave energy converter in the county’s seas.
The cigar-shaped mWave equipment is 60 metres long and sits on the seabed where it can access 80 per cent of the wave’s energy without being exposed to its destructive power.
Bonbora Wavepower Europe Ltd had previously been granted permission, in 2019, for works near Angle airfield associated with the development of the wave power generation device at nearby East Pickard Bay.
The onshore control station works included the temporary siting of communications cables and the siting of shipping containers and other associated works.
An extension to the permitted timescale for the site was granted in 2022, and Bombora Wavepower Europe Ltd applied to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park planners for a further period of grace.
A supporting statement said: “Since the previous extension request in August 2022, we have unfortunately been experiencing difficulties finding the balance of funding for the completion of the project.
“We have been continuing with the construction of the mWave wave energy device, but were lacking the funding to complete the marine deployment. The device is undergoing some final tests at Mainstay in Pembroke Dock and then will be transported to Quay 1 at Pembroke Port for final assembly and testing prior to deployment.
“In terms of the consented works undertaken to date, we have installed the conduit for the onshore cable, dressed the access track and laid the surface for the control station. We intend to undertake the remainder of the works (the installation of the control station and the installation of the onshore cable) in Q1/Q2 2024.”
Bonbora asked for a further one-year extension, to October 2024, in order to be able to complete the project.
The application was approved with conditions including associated infrastructure be removed from the land, and it be restored to its former condition, on or before October 22 of next year. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Pembrokeshire Council

Haverfordwest Town Museum Relocates to Town Centre During Castle Building Works

Pembrokeshire Council

Controversial Retrospective Plans for South Pembrokeshire Village Approved

Pembrokeshire Council

Newgale Coast Protection Plans Submitted by STUN in Alternative to Road Realignment

Pembrokeshire Council

First tenant announced for Pembrokeshire County Council’s Western Quayside development in Haverfordwest

Pembrokeshire Council

Prior Approval Needed Before Demolition of Former Learning Centre, Says County Planners

Pembrokeshire Council

County Hall Car Park in Haverfordwest to Close for Maintenance This Weekend, February 24-25

Pembrokeshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Protest forces cancellation of LGBTQI campaigner Peter Tatchell’s talk in Gwent town

Monmouthshire Council

Former World Champion Darts Player Gerwyn Price Granted Permission for New Fish and Chip Shop

Caerphilly County Borough Council

Merthyr Tydfil Town Centre Office to HMO Conversion Raises Concerns

Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council

Decisions on Major Vale of Glamorgan Plans Put on Hold After Council Meeting Glitch

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Peatland the Size of 70 Rugby Pitches Restored in Neath Port Talbot

Neath Port Talbot Council

Residents in Caerleon express concerns over extension of double-yellow lines in their neighbourhood

Newport Council