Posted: Thu 3rd Aug 2023

Plans for new house near Kilgetty almost incurred £1,600 extra affordable housing costs due to settlement area confusion

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Thursday, Aug 3rd, 2023

Plans for a new house in south Pembrokeshire almost incurred more than £1,600 extra in affordable housing costs due to being in a different settlement area to what was initially said.
Applicant Mr Briers sought to build a new four-bedroom home near Laubobange, Hill Lane, Kilgetty, which was recommended for conditional approval at the July 25 meeting of the county council’s planning committee.
A report for members said: “The application site is an area of land which is partly within the settlement for Kilgetty which is accessed from the north via the A478.  The application site consists of an existing access driveway running north to south from the A478, which opens out into a rectangular area of land.
“The majority of this area of land, lies outside of the settlement boundary and therefore within the countryside.  The main part of the site is fairly level, with a dwelling to the north known as Laubobange (under the ownership of the applicant), with further dwellings (within the settlement) to the southwest and west of the site.”
The report said there was a local needs affordable housing contribution policy in Kilgetty for 20 per cent of dwellings to be affordable on any housing development site.
“As this is a windfall site of one dwelling, a financial contribution of £10,175.00 is required,” the report added.
At the meeting members were told it was incorrect to define the property as being in the Kilgetty settlement area, but was instead in the nearby Pentlepoir area, which would incur a contribution of £12,718.75 instead.
Local county councillor, and committee chairman, Cllr Jacob Williams said he was happy to back the recommendation for approval, but felt the applicant should pay the lower contribution previously agreed.
A counter-proposal to charge the higher rate, made by Cllr Jordan Ryan, failed to gain a seconder.
Members agreed to approve the plans, with the lower contribution rate. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Pembrokeshire Council

Hopes Dashed for Community Pub at Closed Pembrokeshire Inn

Pembrokeshire Council

Family Given Approval to Stay in Pembrokeshire ‘Love Shack’ Built Without Permission

Pembrokeshire Council

New Official Policy Proposed for Flying Flags and Lighting Up County Hall in Pembrokeshire

Pembrokeshire Council

Online Petition Launched to Save Pembrokeshire Day Centre from Closure

Pembrokeshire Council

Four Days Left Before Vote for Dyfed Powys Police and Crime Commissioner

Pembrokeshire Council

Second Stage of Haverfordwest Transport Interchange Contract ‘Called In’ for Review

Pembrokeshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council