Posted: Wed 9th Aug 2023

Barry Waterfront Consortium Accused of Breaking Promises, Council Considers Action | Housing Development’s Lack of Progress Sparks Concern

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Wednesday, Aug 9th, 2023

The consortium behind a multi-million pound housing development in Barry said it has commenced a programme of works at the site after being accused by a council leader of breaking promises.
Leader of Vale of Glamrogan Council, Cllr Lis Burnett, accused the Barry Waterfront Consortium of breaking promises and making weak excuses for failing to deliver certain aspects of the 2,000-home development at Barry Docks.
Vale of Glamorgan Council is considering action against the Waterfront Consortium, which is made up of Taylor Wimpey, Persimmon Homes and Barratt Homes.
New properties continue to be built at the site, but other elements like green spaces, parks and footpaths are yet to be created, whilst roads remain in a partially completed state.
Cllr Burnett said: “Time and again the Waterfront Consortium has made it clear that it has no interest in delivering the community components of this development.
“There has been a catalogue of broken promises and weak excuses for the lack of progress, yet, remarkably, these issues do not seem to be affecting the developers’ house-building programme.
“The only conclusion is that the Waterfront Consortium does not care about community. It builds houses not homes, is interested in profit not people, and creates properties not vibrant, attractive places to live.
“Enough is enough.”
The Barry Waterfront Consortium said it met with Cllr Burnett and the Chief Executive of Vale of Glamorgan Council, Rob Thomas, in June.
In a joint statement, the consortium said it had since devised and commenced a detailed programme of works.
The council has previously taken action against the Waterfront Consortium to ensure the completion of shops, bars and restaurants and the new St Baruc School.
Cllr Burnett added: “Waterfront residents deserve better, and we are not prepared to simply stand by and accept this treatment.
“The consortium is not only in breach of its legal obligations, but also local and national government polices around placemaking.”
The council said there were several areas of public space at the waterfront, including children’s play areas and land approved for a park at East Quay, which needed attention.
Safety improvements also needed to be made on a section of road along Ffordd Y Millennium before the council could take responsibility for it.
A spokesperson for the Barry Waterfront Consortium said: “We understand and appreciate the frustration expressed by the Vale of Glamorgan Council and local residents regarding the community facilities at the Barry Waterfront development.
“We can confirm that the consortium met with the leader and chief executive of the Vale of Glamorgan Council at the end of June to discuss the outstanding areas and reassure them of our commitment to deliver these facilities as quickly as possible.
“We have since devised and commenced a detailed programme of works, which has been shared with the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
“We will continue to work alongside the Council to complete these facilities and the Barry Waterfront regeneration project to the highest standard.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Vale of Glamorgan Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Vale of Glamorgan Council Faces £3.7m Overspend on IT Software Installation

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Residents in Llantwit Major Raise Funds To Challenge Council Over Portable Homes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Plans Approved to Demolish and Rebuild St Richard Gwyn School Despite Flooding Concerns

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Weak Record-Keeping in Vale Care Homes Raises Concerns of Fraud

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Millions secured for footways, active travel, and 20mph zones in Vale of Glamorgan

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council