Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm
Firefighters from Port Talbot are warning residents about the dangers of unattended chip pans and the subsequent benefits of smoke alarms.
In the early hours of Saturday morning, February 4th 2017, crews from Port Talbot responded to report of a house fire in Taibach, Port Talbot. Upon arrival, crews were faced with a heavily smoke logged property and residents fearing the worst. The crews safely tackled the fire, located in the kitchen to the rear of the property, using four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, two thermal imaging cameras, a safety jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.
The kitchen sustained extensive damage and the rest of the house was badly damaged by smoke. Fortunately, all members of the family had escaped from the house safely, prior to the arrival of the Fire Service.
It was later found that the cause of the fire was a chip pan left unattended whilst four members of the family were sleeping upstairs. Their saviour was a working smoke alarm in the property.
Family members were woken by the noise of the smoke alarm and large volumes of smoke issuing from the kitchen, the occupiers then raised the alarm and got everyone out of the residential property safely.
Watch Manager Gavin Jones commented ‘It was evident by the quantities of smoke issuing from the property that the occupiers we very lucky and if it wasn’t for the smoke alarm the outcome could have been very different’.
Station Manager Simon Pearson added ‘This incident highlights both the dangers of chip pans and the benefits of smoke alarms. I hate to think what the outcome could have been if there was no smoke alarm. I would recommend families to get rid of the old style chip pans and invest in a deep fat fryer or the new style air fryers’.
Install a working smoke alarm – Test it Weekly
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Services have the following top tips as small pointers to keep you safe in your home:
§ A working smoke alarm can mean the difference between life or death, so how often do you test it? Remember that it should be once a week.
§ If it is making a noise to indicate the battery is no longer operating or that it may need changing, the Fire Service can advise you.
§ In the event of a fire in your home, a smoke alarm gives you and your family time to get out of your home quickly and safely.
§ Think about your escape routes and which one to take should a fire happen in your home.
§ If a fire does happen, get out, stay out and call 999. Don’t be tempted to go back in and retrieve pets or personal items.
Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales