Posted: Sun 12th Jun 2016

Plans For Cross Hands Retail Park

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Sunday, Jun 12th, 2016

Carmarthenshire planning committee has deferred consideration of proposals for a retail park at Cross Hands following a late intervention by representatives of the Co-op. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The committee was today due to discuss an application by Conygar Cross Hands Ltd for a retail park on land at Cross Hands West where Sainsbury’s had previously planned to build a supermarket. Permission for a supermarket and petrol station already exists. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The meeting was briefly adjourned for councillors to read correspondence sent by consultants for the Co-op. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Head of planning Llinos Quelch told the committee that since the report on the application had been prepared an application had come in for further development of the Co-op store in Cross Hands. That application was in the system but had not yet been registered. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Yesterday the council received a letter from consultants on behalf of the Co-op saying they had objections that the retail park plan should not be considered without all the information being presented to the committee and that the Cross Hands application should be a material planning consideration. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The Head of Planning said this information would have been included had it arrived in time for the report. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

There was a potential that the consultants could advise the Co-op to make a legal challenge if the application was considered today, she said. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The committee decided to defer the application. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Planning Chairman Cllr Alun Lenny said after the meeting: “It is disappointing that this correspondence arrived at the 11th hour raising the possibility of legal challenge when this important development at Cross Hands was ready to go before the committee. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“On the face of it, it appears that some of the concerns raised have already been addressed but in order to satisfy themselves that no possible legal problem arises, the planning committee agreed to defer the application. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“It is anticipated that the application will come back before us in the next few weeks.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Carmarthenshire Council

Controversial Plans for New Estate in Llanelli Turned Down

Carmarthenshire Council

Tens of millions earmarked for new schools and projects in Carmarthenshire

Carmarthenshire Council

Carmarthenshire Council Approves 7.5% Council Tax Rise for 2024-25 Budget

Carmarthenshire Council

Senior Councillor Calls for Increase in Domiciliary Care Contributions in Wales

Carmarthenshire Council

Council Chiefs in Carmarthenshire Plan to Defer Savings, Resulting in Higher Council Tax

Carmarthenshire Council

Campaigners Call for Underground Power Lines to Protect Carmarthenshire Landscape

Carmarthenshire Council

Latest from News.Wales

Controversial Retrospective Plans for South Pembrokeshire Village Approved

Pembrokeshire Council

Denbighshire’s Leader Calls for Collaboration Among North Wales Councils for Better Services

Denbighshire Council

Powys County Council Predicted to Have Over £3 Million Surplus in Budget for 2023/2024

Powys Council

Turkey Breeder Granted Permission to Replace Sheds Despite Residents’ Concerns

Denbighshire Council

Health Board in Gwent Works to Improve Despite Missing Targets

Blaenau Gwent Council

Controversial Plans for New Estate in Llanelli Turned Down

Carmarthenshire Council