Posted: Fri 5th Feb 2016

Carbon Monoxide Exposure in Haverfordwest Property

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Friday, Feb 5th, 2016

At 8.42pm last night (04/02/2016) the crew from Haverfordwest attended a carbon monoxide alarm on Dew Street. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Firefighters responded to the carbon monoxide exposure by using 2 Breathing Apparatus to ventilate the property while the occupants were assessed by paramedics. The occupants were advised to leave the property and were provided with a new carbon monoxide alarm by the Fire Service. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Firefighters remained at the property until 9.28pm. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Following a number of incidents involving carbon monoxide exposure across the Commands Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to offer safety advice to the public in relation to carbon monoxide exposure. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Home Fire Safety Manager Adrian Smith advises, ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. Fuel burning appliances such as stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters can produce carbon monoxide if they are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood can all produce carbon monoxide. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Too many people die needlessly or become seriously ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning each year; early symptoms can easily be mistaken for flu or tiredness”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“One of the problems that we find is that people often do not understand what it actually is: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Carbon monoxide is produced when certain fuels are not properly burnt. This includes gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood. Carbon monoxide can also seep into properties via shared flues or chimneys and can even permeate through brick walls and plaster. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Your fuel burning appliance was incorrectly or badly installed
Your appliance has not been safety checked and serviced annually
Your chimney or flue is blocked or has not been swept regularly
There is no audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted and working in your home. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

To stay protected against carbon monoxide poisoning please follow these safety steps: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Fit an audible alarm
Service your appliances
Don’t block ventilation ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Fire Service

Powerful Support Kits Out Pontarddulais Fire Cadets

Fire Service

High Sheriff Of Powys Visits Newtown Drill Session

Fire Service

Trolley Clean Up On The River Tawe

Fire Service

Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm

Fire Service

Controlled Heather And Grass Burning Awareness Events

Fire Service

Swans And MAWWFRS Launch Fire Cadet League

Fire Service

Latest from News.Wales

Motion to Drop Car Park Ticket Prices to Boost Powys Town Centres to be Debated

Powys Council

Protesters Breach Grounds of Stradey Park Hotel in Llanelli as Motorcyclists and Man Dressed as Traffic Cone Gain Access

Carmarthenshire Council

Football Club Granted Planning Permission for New Changing Rooms at Home Ground

Caerphilly County Borough Council

Powys Health Board Faces £7 Million Overspend as Financial Struggles Continue

Powys Council

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board Spends £18.9m on Agency and Bank Staff for Nursing

Blaenau Gwent Council

Powys firms owed thousands after flagship housing project developer goes into administration

Powys Council