Posted: Sat 2nd Jul 2016

Carbon Monoxide Exposure In Trimsaran Property

This article is old - Published: Saturday, Jul 2nd, 2016

At 12:43am this morning (Friday 1st July 2016) crews from Llanelli and Pontyates responded to a call stating that a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm were triggered at a property in Trimsaran. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Three females were conveyed to hospital by Ambulance with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Fire crews isolated the gas supply and requested an engineer to check the boiler. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The Fire Service remained at the property until 01:09am. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to offer safety advice to the public in relation to carbon monoxide exposure. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Home Fire Safety Manager Adrian Smith advises, ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. Fuel burning appliances such as stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters can produce carbon monoxide if they are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood can all produce carbon monoxide. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Too many people die needlessly or become seriously ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning each year; early symptoms can easily be mistaken for flu or tiredness”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“One of the problems that we find is that people often do not understand what it actually is: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Carbon monoxide is produced when certain fuels are not properly burnt. This includes gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood. Carbon monoxide can also seep into properties via shared flues or chimneys and can even permeate through brick walls and plaster. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

  • Your fuel burning appliance was incorrectly or badly installed
  • Your appliance has not been safety checked and serviced annually
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked or has not been swept regularly
  • There is no audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted and working in your home.
  • To stay protected against carbon monoxide poisoning please follow these safety steps:

Fit an audible alarm ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

  • Service your appliances
  • Don’t block ventilation

If you would like to discuss a home safety check with us please contact us via our website”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Fire Service

Powerful Support Kits Out Pontarddulais Fire Cadets

Fire Service

High Sheriff Of Powys Visits Newtown Drill Session

Fire Service

Trolley Clean Up On The River Tawe

Fire Service

Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm

Fire Service

Controlled Heather And Grass Burning Awareness Events

Fire Service

Swans And MAWWFRS Launch Fire Cadet League

Fire Service

Latest from News.Wales

Green Light Given for Science and Engineering Facilities Upgrade at Wrexham University

Wrexham Council

Three Community Projects in Neath Port Talbot Approved for UK Funding

Neath Port Talbot Council

Brighter Financial Position for Blaenau Gwent as Reserves Decrease in 2023/2024 Budget

Blaenau Gwent Council

Homeowner in Cwmbran Refused Planning Permission for Removal of Hedge to Create Parking Space

Torfaen Council

Claims of Potential £10 Million Annual Target Sparks Concerns Over County Farms Sales

Powys Council

Ceredigion Household Waste Site Faces Closure Amid Council’s Budget Crisis

Ceredigion Council