Posted: Mon 14th Mar 2016

MAWWFRS Ask The Public To Be Cooking Safe

news.wales / newyddion.cymru
This article is old - Published: Monday, Mar 14th, 2016

On Friday night (11/03/2016) at 10.31pm crews from Pontardawe and Abercrave attended a smoke logged property in Ystalyfera. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The property became heavily smoke logged after the occupier of the property left food unattended on the cooker. Firefighters ventilated the property using Positive Pressure Ventilation, and isolated the cooker. The occupier was treated by ambulance as a precaution.
Firefighters left the scene at 11.22pm. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Following a number of kitchen related fires over the weekend, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is calling on all residents to take extra care when cooking. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

While many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended, there are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

• Make sure you don’t get distracted when you are cooking.
• Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, e.g. by a phone call.
• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily.
• Don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or have taken certain prescription drugs – you may get drowsy or lose concentration. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Karen Jones, Head of Community Safety said: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“In 2015 we attended 203 accidental fires where cooking was the main cause across the Service,”
“Having working smoke alarms are a vital protection from the danger of fire in your home. They provide an early warning, giving you and your family precious time to get out of your home quickly. It is vitally important that you test your smoke alarm regularly”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mid and West Wales Fire & Rescue Service provides a free home fire safety check offering practical advice and guidance on how to make your home safer from fire as well as installing smoke alarms if required. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Contact 0800 169 1234 or email hfsc@mawwfire.gov.uk for more information.​ ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Fire Service

Powerful Support Kits Out Pontarddulais Fire Cadets

Fire Service

High Sheriff Of Powys Visits Newtown Drill Session

Fire Service

Trolley Clean Up On The River Tawe

Fire Service

Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm

Fire Service

Controlled Heather And Grass Burning Awareness Events

Fire Service

Swans And MAWWFRS Launch Fire Cadet League

Fire Service

Latest from News.Wales

Public Consultation Launched for ‘No-Gas’ Housing Development Near Maesteg

Bridgend Council

Opponents of Proposed “Super-Estate” in Wrexham Call for Public Meeting

Wrexham Council

Disused Newport leisure centre deemed safe by council officials

Newport Council

Plans Revealed for Fourth Phase of Rhondda Fach Active Travel Route

Rhondda Council

Fear of Diluted Local Voice in Vale of Glamorgan Community Council Changes

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Smallest School in Rhondda Cynon Taf to Close Despite Strong Opposition

Rhondda Council