Posted: Mon 13th Jun 2016

Welshpool Attend Cooking Fire Sunday 12-06-2016

This article is old - Published: Monday, Jun 13th, 2016

On Sunday afternoon (13/06/2016) at 2.24pm crews from Welshpool attended a fire involving a cooking appliance in Coed Y Bryn, Welshpool. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The incident involved a cooking appliance. Firefighters extinguished the fire using 1 Hose Reel Jet and 1 Thermal Imaging Camera. The crews removed the cooker from the house. One occupant received oxygen therapy at the scene from Ambulance services. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

While many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended, there are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

• Make sure you don’t get distracted when you are cooking.
• Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, e.g. by a phone call.
• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily.
• Don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or have taken certain prescription drugs – you may get drowsy or lose concentration. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Karen Jones, Head of Community Safety said: ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“In 2015 we attended 203 accidental fires where cooking was the main cause across the Service.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“Having working smoke alarms are a vital protection from the danger of fire in your home. They provide an early warning, giving you and your family precious time to get out of your home quickly. It is vitally important that you test your smoke alarm regularly”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Mid and West Wales Fire & Rescue Service provides a free home fire safety check offering practical advice and guidance on how to make your home safer from fire as well as installing smoke alarms if required. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Fire Service

Powerful Support Kits Out Pontarddulais Fire Cadets

Fire Service

High Sheriff Of Powys Visits Newtown Drill Session

Fire Service

Trolley Clean Up On The River Tawe

Fire Service

Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm

Fire Service

Controlled Heather And Grass Burning Awareness Events

Fire Service

Swans And MAWWFRS Launch Fire Cadet League

Fire Service

Latest from News.Wales

Anglesey Council Proposes Near 10% Increase in Council Tax

Anglesey Council

Public Toilet Charges in Ceredigion to Increase to 40p

Ceredigion Council

One of Ceredigion’s Four Household Waste Sites Facing Closure as Council Approves Budget

Ceredigion Council

Residents in Llantwit Major Furious Over “Overbearing” Portable Homes at Former School Site

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Merthyr Tydfil councillors warned council could “grind to a halt” without balanced budget

Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council

Carmarthenshire Council Confident in Spending £17 Million on New Cycle Path by March 2025

Carmarthenshire Council