Posted: Sat 24th Sep 2016

Woman In Serious Condition Following Rescue From House Fire In Wrexham

This article is old - Published: Saturday, Sep 24th, 2016

A senior fire safety officer is highlighting the importance of smoke alarms and encouraging residents to keep an eye out for their neighbours after a woman was rescued by firefighters following a fire in her Wrexham home last night. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Two crews from Wrexham were called to the property on Moorland Avenue, Wrexham at 22.28hrs last night (Friday September 23). ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Neighbours were alerted by the sound of the smoke alarm and called 999 after investigating and noticing blackened windows. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Crews rescued a woman in her twenties from the living room area. She was transferred to hospital by paramedics and is currently in a serious condition. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the fire in the kitchen of the property. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The fire is thought to have been started by cooking left unattended. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Paul Scott, Community Safety Manager for Wrexham and Flintshire, said: “This incident once again highlights the importance of smoke alarms and the importance of members of the community looking after each other. The alarm alerted the neighbour, and their actions allowed us to attend the property and rescue this young woman before the fire was fully developed. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“I’d like to commend the neighbours for contacting the fire and rescue service immediately and for helping to protect their neighbour in this way. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“We urge people not to leave their cooking unattended, not even for a moment – a small fire can develop into a large one in a matter of minutes.If you leave the room, take the cooking off the heat. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

“Smoke alarms save lives – please ensure you test yours regularly. I’d ask everyone to consider elderly or vulnerable family or neighbours, and ensure they are safe too. The early warning provided by a smoke alarm can provide vital minutes to help them escape unharmed.” ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Fire Service

Powerful Support Kits Out Pontarddulais Fire Cadets

Fire Service

High Sheriff Of Powys Visits Newtown Drill Session

Fire Service

Trolley Clean Up On The River Tawe

Fire Service

Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm

Fire Service

Controlled Heather And Grass Burning Awareness Events

Fire Service

Swans And MAWWFRS Launch Fire Cadet League

Fire Service

Latest from News.Wales

Empty Homes in Monmouthshire Decrease Following Council Tax Premium Agreement

Monmouthshire Council

New Recycling Contract Worth £375,000 to be Scrutinised by Blaenau Gwent Councillors

Blaenau Gwent Council

Former Bowling Alley and Fruit Warehouse in Tonyrefail to be Transformed into Affordable Homes by 2025

Rhondda Council

Cardiff Council Sees Increase in Primary School Applications Refused

Cardiff Council

Swansea Council to Phase Out Green Plastic Bags for Kerbside Recycling

Swansea Council

Dealing with Fly-Tipping in Wrexham: Local Authority Spends £21,500 in Efforts to Combat Issue

Wrexham Council