Posted: Tue 31st May 2016

MAWWFRS Issue Warning About Candle And Joss Stick Fire Safety Following Penlan Fire

This article is old - Published: Tuesday, May 31st, 2016

On Saturday 28 May, firefighters from Swansea Central and Morriston attended a house fire in Penlan, Swansea. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

The small fire occurred in the living room of a ground floor flat and was caused by either a candle or joss stick. The crews used 2 Breathing Apparatus, 1 Hose Reel Jet, 1 Thermal Imaging Camera and Positive Pressure Ventilation to extinguish the fire. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Unfortunately, the incident resulted in the fatality of a dog. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Also in attendance at the incident were Police and Ambulance. Firefighters left the incident at 10.36am. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

MAWWFRS would like to take this opportunity to advise the public on candle and incense safety. The potential consequences are severe and can cost lives. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Arson Reduction Manager Will Bowen has this simple advice to enjoy candles and incense safely, ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

• “Never leave candles or incense burners unattended.
• Never light candles, burners or cigarettes when you are tired or sleepy.
• They must always be placed away from soft furnishings and on a non-flammable surface such as a plate or tile – wherever possible a proper candle / incense holder should be used.
• Keep the candle or burner away from curtains.
• Keep them out of the reach of children who may want to play with them and also out of the reach of any animals who may knock them over.
• Always have working smoke alarms fitted throughout your home and test them regularly”. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​

Please call us call us on 0800 169 1234 or text us on 07756847123 to discuss a home safety visit by Fire and Rescue Service personnel. ‌​‌​‌​​​‍‌​‌​​‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌​​



Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales



More from Fire Service

Powerful Support Kits Out Pontarddulais Fire Cadets

Fire Service

High Sheriff Of Powys Visits Newtown Drill Session

Fire Service

Trolley Clean Up On The River Tawe

Fire Service

Family Alerted To Chip Pan Fire By Smoke Alarm

Fire Service

Controlled Heather And Grass Burning Awareness Events

Fire Service

Swans And MAWWFRS Launch Fire Cadet League

Fire Service

Latest from News.Wales

Battle to Save Reindeer Lodge in North Wales as Planning Permission is Contested

Flintshire Council

Council Planning Committee Agrees Code of Conduct for Members and Officers

Monmouthshire Council

Gwent council questions affordability of new Welsh medium school in budget discussions

Blaenau Gwent Council

Vale of Glamorgan Council Proposes Auctioning Mayor’s Car to Save Money

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Retrospective Plans to Convert Workshop to Restaurant Incurs Local Ire

Pembrokeshire Council

Tens of millions earmarked for new schools and projects in Carmarthenshire

Carmarthenshire Council