MAWWFRS Issue Warning About Candle And Joss Stick Fire Safety Following Penlan Fire
On Saturday 28 May, firefighters from Swansea Central and Morriston attended a house fire in Penlan, Swansea.
The small fire occurred in the living room of a ground floor flat and was caused by either a candle or joss stick. The crews used 2 Breathing Apparatus, 1 Hose Reel Jet, 1 Thermal Imaging Camera and Positive Pressure Ventilation to extinguish the fire.
Unfortunately, the incident resulted in the fatality of a dog.
Also in attendance at the incident were Police and Ambulance. Firefighters left the incident at 10.36am.
MAWWFRS would like to take this opportunity to advise the public on candle and incense safety. The potential consequences are severe and can cost lives.
Arson Reduction Manager Will Bowen has this simple advice to enjoy candles and incense safely,
• “Never leave candles or incense burners unattended.
• Never light candles, burners or cigarettes when you are tired or sleepy.
• They must always be placed away from soft furnishings and on a non-flammable surface such as a plate or tile – wherever possible a proper candle / incense holder should be used.
• Keep the candle or burner away from curtains.
• Keep them out of the reach of children who may want to play with them and also out of the reach of any animals who may knock them over.
• Always have working smoke alarms fitted throughout your home and test them regularly”.
Please call us call us on 0800 169 1234 or text us on 07756847123 to discuss a home safety visit by Fire and Rescue Service personnel.
Spotted something? Got a story? Email News@News.Wales